What You Need To Know About Mosquito Bites
Bug bites are one of summer’s little annoyances, and the itchy, puffy marks mosquitoes leave are the worst ones. Prevention with mosquito control is the best medicine, but in case you’re caught off guard, we want to help you get relief. We know not everyone keeps medications on hand, so we’ve come up with a list of the best home remedies for mosquito bites using products you already have.
Home remedies to treat mosquito bites:
- Soap - Rub a dry bar of soap directly onto the skin for instant relief, then rinse off when the itching is gone.
- Onion - Hold a slice of onion on the bite until the itching goes away, then rinse.
- Ice Pack - Holding an ice pack on the bite for a few minutes will relieve symptoms quickly.
- Honey - Honey is a natural anti-inflammatory that will take down the swelling and itching fast.
- Vinegar - Vinegar fixes everything! Just a drop or two on the bite will give you fast relief.
- Oatmeal Paste - Make a thick paste with a tablespoon or so of dry oats mixed with a couple drops of water. Apply to the bite and let sit until you feel relief.
- Salt Paste - Just like with the oatmeal, make a paste out of fine salt and a drop or two of water. Apply to the bite and rinse off after it stops itching completely.
- Citrus Juice - A couple drops of lemon or lime juice will take the sting and itch away quickly.
- Baking Soda Paste - Like the other pastes, mix a little baking soda with a drop of water and apply to the bite. For added effect, use vinegar instead of water.
- Peppermint Oil - Peppermint is known for its anti-inflammatory agents. If you don’t have essential oils laying around, though, try peppermint toothpaste.
Do Mosquito Bites Always Mean You Need Mosquito Control?
Well, it depends. If you or your family is bitten every once and awhile, then maybe you can live with mosquitoes. However, one bite from a mosquito can cause you to become terribly ill. In addition to Zika, mosquitoes can spread dengue and chikungunya. According to the Center for Disease Control, these viruses have millions of cases come into existence each year and in all parts of the world.
What To Look For With Mosquito Bites
Not sure if they are out of control? Our mosquito control teams want you to ask yourself this question: are you really feeling the bite?
- They are itchy and unavoidable. You can try to ignore them, but somehow they still tempt you – days at a time. This means having to mix up home remedies or run out to the store for rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide just for a minute of relief.
- They are usually several of them. It is not always the “one” bite. The female mosquito consumes blood for each of her batches of eggs. This means you could end up going to bed at the end of the night with bites all over you!
- They are messy. Either we scratch to the point that we bleed or we slap the mosquito before they can leave too much of a bite.
Why Do Mosquitoes Bite?
Some people have the misconception that mosquitoes always have a tendency to bite them, because of their perfume, lotion, or blood type. In truth, it is none of these characteristics. It also has nothing to do with how old you are, your race, or even the food you eat. Female mosquitoes need blood to fertilize their egg nest. It is not so much human blood that fertilizes their eggs, but the sugar inside it.
How To Stop Mosquito Bites
Here are some tips on what you can do to prevent mosquito bites from happening:
- Blow them away - Get some fans out! Almost any breeze, really any above 1 MPH, will make it very difficult for mosquitoes to fly and bite you. Pro-tip: Keep the flow of air directed at the lower half of your body because mosquitoes fly close to the ground to avoid the wind. That means that putting a fan down there will block any potential bites.
- Try tightly woven clothing - Mosquitoes can’t bite through clothing that has a very tight weave. While cotton and linen usually aren’t great armor against bug bites, many synthetic fibers are woven tightly enough. That means athletic apparel is a great place to start, so you can stay cool and protected.
- Avoid peak mosquito hours - If you can schedule your outdoor outings at early day or in the evening, you can avoid a lot of mosquito bites.
- Spray Away: Use EPA-approved insect repellents with active ingredients that include DEET or IR3535 or 2-undercanone. These particular set of ingredients have been registered as safe and effective.
Want Help with Mosquito Control in Winston Salem, NC?
If you’d rather not have to treat bites at all, why not start the season off right and get rid of the little nuisances before they’re a problem? NoMosquitoes.com has been around for more than 30 years and we know our stuff! Unlike most off-the-shelf mosquito repellants, our products work for extended periods of time, which means you are saving dollars in the long run. Contact us today for a personalized and friendly quote. Let us be your mosquito control experts!